Saturday, May 26, 2007

10¢ Increase

A week ago, it was announced that the price of roti canai and chapati will be increased to 10 cents more, after the announcement of pay raise for civil servants. Reason for the increase would be the increase of price for oil, gas, flour and margarine.

Two days later, the decision to increase the price was pulled back. However, many doubted if the original size which people are so use to seeing (and eating for that matter) will remain the same. Unfortunately, size is what Domestic Trade and Consumers Affairs officers can’t monitor.

In today’s news – 10 cents increase for teh tarik or any other beverages that contain condense milk. This is effective in the Northern Region. But I do remember hearing about the price increase of milk and unfortunately condense milk is affected too.

Everything has price increased. Just this 1 month alone, I hear of so many price increased. I went back to my designer/dress maker to make a dress for formal functions (a lot of weddings to attend this year, therefore a lot of “saman” to pay). Her price went up from the base price of the usual RM400 to RM500. She told me that wedding gowns are affected the most – the base price from RM1000 to RM1300!!!

Then I had a friend who asked me who was my make-up artist for my wedding and I gave her the contact. She called her and asked her how much, and the make-up artist quoted her RM1000 from the RM800 I paid her last year!!! And she was like, “I should have gotten married last year!”.

Getting married is not cheap anymore and there are so many weddings this year – apparently the Year of the Pig is very prosperous for business as well as getting married or even conception (babies lar).

I wonder if the market price to pay wedding “saman” has increase too…. Can we still maintain the old rate, ah?

No comments: